Can you imagine any more intimate invitation than for your beloved to say, “Arise my darling, there’s something that I want to show you; come along with me.”? This beckoning suggests that there is a hidden delight to be shared. Perhaps it’s a surprise just for these two affectionate lovers planned by the one for the other. As a woman who LOVES surprises, my mind imagines all sorts of treasures to be revealed.
In the Song of Solomon 2:13 (NASB), this adoring secretive call is found:
‘The fig tree has ripened its figs,
And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance.
Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come along!’
There is something to be shown and shared. There is something delightful to behold that will be so sweet to encounter together. There is something that the one lover has discovered and cannot wait for the other to experience. I imagine myself placing a trembling hand with an anticipating heart into a strong waiting hand and being led to a place of utter joy.
As with most words, I want to know the depths and shades of their meanings. So it is with this verse and I studied out a few words that captivated me.
- Ripened – to embalm, as in the air, with a sweet aroma; to make spicy; to ease harvesting.
This actually led me to look the meaning of embalm.
- Embalm – to fill the air with a sweet fragrance. To preserve from decay.
- Fragrance – a savoury smell; a soothing odor; the technical term for a sacrifice to God.
- Blossom – a tender state; the peak period of development; the flower of a seed plant.
- Given – to assign; to bestow, to cause, to permit. To stretch out. To deliver up. To assign.
- Darling – attendant maiden, companion. An endeared person. A particular favorite.
- Come Along – to walk, to travel, to run, to go up and out. To move in a constant direction or path. To be in the company of another.
As you can see, this verse begins to explode with depth and richness. This is just like God. The first glance is breathtaking and sweet. However, the longer you look, the more you study Him out, there are unsearchable riches to be found.
Look and listen for his invitation today. See what delights He wants to show you. Take His hand and breathe deeply the sweet fragrance of His being.
You are His darling.